Welcome to the Moving Forward Family Services’ website. Moving Forward Family Services consists of like-minded counsellors and social workers who are committed to supporting our most vulnerable communities. We operate with little bureaucracy and hierarchy, with the goal of providing responsive services to our clients.
We are a counselling service that is not funded and therefore operate on cost recovery. Our low cost and free services are delivered by fully insured, fully supervised interns on practicum or volunteers with a background in counselling or social work.
Our services are for those who are not eligible for other services in community (or face long wait lists) and/or who cannot afford traditional counselling service rates. We offer AFFORDABLE counselling with Clinical Counsellors in English, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Farsi, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Ukrainian, and free/low cost services in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Farsi, Vietnamese, Hindi and Punjabi.
We also can refer clients to private fee-based clinical counsellors who provide services at a subsidized rate ($38 individual, $55 for couples/families) to those who cannot afford traditional private therapy rates. For each referral, Moving Forward receives $3/$5, which helps cover our costs.
SUPPORT our efforts to provide UNIVERSAL MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTIONS Counselling and Support.
** Donations are eligible for tax receipts **
WALK-IN OUTPATIENT COUNSELLING CLINIC (FOR INTAKES) IN SURREY
We offer drop-in Open Intake at our Newton location! At intake you will see our intake workers who will conduct a short assessment/intake (no cost).
Effective immediately our intakes will be held:
FRIDAYS 12 pm – 2 pm
SUNDAYS 12 pm – 2 pm
Address: 103 – 12827 76th Avenue Surrey
(corner of 128th and 76th, look for the All Care Medical Clinic). Entry is through room 101 (which faces out towards 128th Street).
Please do not drop-in at other times as sessions are otherwise by appointment and we have no admin available to meet with you
If you cannot attend drop-in, you are still welcome to text/call 778-321-3054 or e-mail email@example.com. If emailing please fill out the pre-intake form below and send with your email:
For fastest reply, consider contacting us via email or text.
Also please review our Service Consent form, that our counsellors will review with clients at first session (private therapists have their own service consents).
I understand and agree to the following terms of service:
- Moving Forward Family Services is a non-profit collaborative (minimal hierarchy, low expenses, dependent on support from community) created to address the emotional well-being of residents in an innovative manner (without funding, with an OPEN MANDATE)
- We are NOT FUNDED by any government ministry and thus rely on community to support our initiatives. Fees collected go right back into service delivery expenses
- That service is provided by highly trained Registered Clinical Counsellors, Counsellors with Masters Degrees in Counselling Psychology or Social Work, counselling Interns who are nearing completion of a Masters Degree in counselling psychology, social work or related discipline, or counsellors completing certificates or diplomas in related fields
- That all counsellors at Moving Forward Family Services Society are supervised by a trained and experienced Clinical Supervisor with a Masters Degree in counselling psychology, social work or related discipline
- That service fees are ‘PAY WHAT YOU CAN’ though there are minimum fees for clinical counsellors and free services are reserved for those with low/no income
- That other counselling options have been explored (public and private) and were not available (wait lists, affordability, etc.)
- That free services must be reviewed after 6 sessions with Supervisor, and Clients wishing to continue with free services may need to provide proof of low income. Any questions about policy this should be directed to Supervisor Gary Thandi at 778-321-3054
- That agency Privacy and Confidentiality Policies (which includes the limits to confidentiality) have been clearly explained to me
- That I will attend appointments on time and will make every effort, to advise the counsellor, at least 24 hours in advance, if I cannot make the appointment. Missed appointments may incur late fees/count towards ‘free’ sessions. Multiple misses may result in discontinuation of services
- That I may be asked to have your sessions recorded or be observed by a supervisor for the purpose of continuous self- development of our counsellors/social workers. You have the right to refuse this request if asked – and that this will not impact the services
- That I have the right to terminate service at any time